1 Week = 7 Days
A week has seven days:
|Day of the Week||In 3 Letters|
But it doesn't have to be Monday to Sunday ...
... a week can be any period of 7 days.
Example: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday together make one week.
It could also go from one time to the same time 7 days later:
Example: From Midday on Thursday to Midday the next Thursday is also one week.
This calendar highlights one week (click on any day, a whole week is shown):
Weekdays and Weekend
A weekday is one of the days when people normally go to work or school. In most English-speaking countries the weekdays are:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
The weekend is the days at the end of the week that are not weekdays. In most English-speaking countries the weekend is:
Saturday and Sunday.
Weeks in a Month
How many weeks in a Month?
Well, Months have different lengths:
- If the Month has 30 Days, then it has 4 Weeks and 2 Days.
- If the Month has 31 Days, then it has 4 Weeks and 3 Days.
- February has exactly 4 weeks, except in a Leap Year it has 4 weeks and 1 Day.
In general you can say:
A Month is about 413 weeks
Weeks in a Year
- A normal year has 365 days, which is 52 Weeks and 1 Day.
- A leap year has 366 days, which is 52 Weeks and 2 Days.
How did the days get their names?
- Monday: The Moon
- Tuesday: Tyr (the Norse God)
- Wednesday: Odin (the Norse God)
- Thursday: Thor (the Norse God)
- Friday: Freya/Frigg (the wife of Odin)
- Saturday: Saturn
- Sunday: The Sun